Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cha Cha

Early this week my saint-of-a-brother picked up my daughter to tour a local university (CU Boulder).  Kelly is still only a junior in high school and already has her major picked, and her double major and minors.  Scouting out colleges is her new favorite pastime...

My sister-in-law is currently pregnant with their second child ("another princess" as my brother likes to say).  I asked him how she is feeling, and no surprise, she is very uncomfortable with only weeks to go.  The baby sleeps all day, lulled by her mama's activities.  At night, when my sister-in-law wants to sit down and relax, the baby is awake and active. 

The other day my almost 4-year old niece looks up at my brother and, very seriously, says "Daddy, I know what we should name our new baby."  For those of you who are into children's literature, you may be familiar with the silly book, "Cha Cha, The Dancing Dog."  Well, my unborn niece now has the name Cha Cha, The Dancing Sister!



As funny as that sounds, it does have merit.  My niece has made that one-to-one connection between fantasy (her beloved book) and reality (her new unborn and, unseen as of today, sister).  She has matured to that stage in life where she is drawing from her imagination into her very real life.

I love to see this happen!  With my own kids it was fascinating and unbelievable; with the preschoolers at my school it is still amazing.  It's the light bulb that goes off and you see the realization and wonder in the child's face..."Ah ha!"  There are not enough words to describe that deep feeling of satisfaction...

And something for my brother to think about -- there is a very real chance that whatever the baby's name is, her nickname will always be Cha Cha...


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I think with all the bling you wear that your nickname should be Cha Cha! See you tomorrow, Cha Cha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a great wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is two and a half and I too am fascinated by the connection between what he's taking in from books and what's happening in real life. We have a book about a little boy and his baby brother and he asked me recently to call the baby Tripp and the brother Tevyn. They grow up so quickly!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew is 4 and I am constantly amazed by the things he says and that crazy imagination he has. They're so much fun to watch at this age. And your niece is beautiful, btw!

    Stopping by from SITS. Hope you have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from SITS - I have a feeling that no matter what 'princess 2's name is, she will always be Cha Cha to her older sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the compliments on my photos! this is a really cute story, and i think you're right. that baby is going to be called cha cha for a while :)
    have a great sunday!
    mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. The almost 4 year old, are great, I know well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name Cha Cha. I think I'll name myself that! :-)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Stopping by from SITS...thank you for your comment. This is a very cute post. You can count on it...The little one will be now and forever Cha Cha ....very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can think of much worse nicknames!
    And kudos to your daughter for knowing what she (thinks) she wants to do.
    Came by from SITS to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! When my oldest son was 5 we had a pizza date to go through the baby book names for a name for his brother. He like "Caesar." LOL We didn't him that, of course.

    One of my sons used to change his name every so often to characters he loved,albeit, movie characters. He's a visual learner, so he has the facial/character expressions down - he truly gets into character.

    I love how children learn!

    ReplyDelete