Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Rug of All Rugs

There it is.
It's beautiful.
It's gorgeous.
It's amazing. 
It's my new rug...

A little over a year ago I took the plunge and bought new furniture.  It was a huge step for me.  Even now, my heart races a little when I think about making that decision.  Or maybe it was the amount of money I spent.  

It was more than just a decision to buy new furniture...it was a decision to replace the furniture that I had bought with my then husband.  This time, well, I was going to get what I wanted and not what was neutral and stuffy and practical and boring.

I am still in love my red-orange (think cayenne!) leather couch...it totally rocks.  And the polka dot chair?  Love it!  And the white, shag rug?  Hmmm...what the heck was I thinking?!?!?!?!  It just looked sooo good in the store, but the store didn't have 3 teenagers with grubby shoes, 2 dogs, and a cat with claws that like to grip at anything and everything.

I want to still like the rug and if I close my eyes real tight, I can imagine what it looked like a year ago.  Now it looks like something Linus pulled behind him...dirty, well-worn, and just plain sad.  So, I "plunged" once again and bought a new rug.

The name of the rug is "Georgina" and boy, is it a beauty!  Swirls of poppies (which happens to be my most favorite flower...ever) mixed with warm hues of golds, browns, and cream.  I know people have mixed feelings about Pottery Barn, but I don't and that's where I ended up getting it from.  The rug arrived today and I can't stop looking at it...it's perfect.

The problem is I can't bring myself to unroll the rug completely.  So there it sits, in a roll of plastic, waiting to unleash its beauty.  But I can't.  I'm thinking of grubby, stinky shoes, dirty bare feet in the summertime, 8 little paws, and a cat who has destructive issues paws.

So here I sit.  Looking at the fabulous rug, unable to make a decision...






Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Debut it at your party! What a great excuse to unroll a little more beauty in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could get those grubby sneakered variety to clean up after the grubby sneakered selves. haha.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago I bought a new couch. I got it at Ikea so it wasn't anything super expensive, but I thought it would look great in my living room, and it did . . . for a little while. Like your shag rug it was white and between the dog and the cats and my own habit of spilling tea, it didn't stay white for long. Still it did look nice at first. I say use your new rug and enjoy it while you can. With any luck you will get tired of it at about the same time it wears out and you win the lottery and can buy 10 new rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so know how you feel. I feel like my little boy is ruining all of my furniture I have to tell myself it was meant to be used, not looked at. It doesn't make it any easier though :)


    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking as I was reading this post...well come ON...where are the pics? I get it now - if it's still rolled up - prolly not the greatest pic huh? ;)
    Baby steps...you can do it!
    Stopping by from SITS - Happy Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I wanna see it! I wanna see it! Congratulations on your new rug, mama! I totally understand your trepidation. We live in a new construction townhome, and I was aghast at letting anyone walk too close to the walls at first because it pained me to think that they'd a.) get scratched and b.) be subjected to the rough, though kind-hearted and well-intentioned, Magic Eraser. I just really love these walls. Our old house was built in the 1800s and had 120 year old dirt on its walls. Unremovable. Goodness, how I love these walls!

    Enjoy that rug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so curious that I had to check it, very nice!

    ReplyDelete