Monday, March 8, 2010

A Forever Relationship

Oh, I know what you're thinking...another blog about someone's eternal love for their spouse, right?  Mmmmm...no.  That would be a little hypocritical of me, I'm afraid.  I do admire those couples, my parents being married for 50+ years.  But lately I've witnessed another kind of relationship...one that is just as meaningful, or maybe more so in some ways, than marriage...the sibling connection.

I grew up with an older sister and younger brother, each of us separated two years apart.  My brother and I were very close as young children; the older we got, the closer my sister and I became, especially when we each started having children.  My youngest daughter and my sister's middle daughter were born on the same day...5 hours apart.  We affectionately call them the Twin Cousins.  My brother enjoyed his bachelorhood and didn't marry until he was in his mid-30's.  He was my rock when I was going through my divorce.  Now that he has young children and mine are (almost) grown, he comes to me with questions and asks for guidance.

We all live within an hour of each other -- my parents, my aunt, and my siblings.  Because of our busy lives we don't get together all that often.  My mom's kitchen is our place to grab some coffee and get catch up on what's going on in our lives.  We talk about the past, present, and future.  I know I can always rely on them to give me the best advice, a shoulder to lean on, an ear to listen to, or to share a laugh with.  Always.

A few days ago I received an email from my mom.  We had all been at her home a few weekends ago.  My mother is such an incredible writer...she writes with elegance and style and you can't help but feeling all warm and cozy after reading her letters (now it's emails).  She mentioned how wonderful it was for her to see all three of her children in her kitchen, helping to prepare dinner.  My first thought was, "well, that's what we always do!", but then I thought about it from her vantage point.  Here were all her children, all sharing space and laughing and talking with one another.  What an incredible feeling for a mother!

And then I got to experience that same feeling this past weekend.  My middle child celebrated her 17th birthday.  She wanted her favorite meal (tacos and gourmet cupcakes from a bakery in town) and go to a movie.  So, my three kids and I had dinner, cupcakes, gifts, and went to see a movie.  The movie was average, but what fun we had!  The next day, my son took his sister to her first R-rated movie (she plays by the rules, this girlie of mine!).  He told me how cute it was when she whipped out her ID!  And the following day, all 4 of us played on the Wii and wrapped up the weekend by watching the Oscars. My son (who is in college) very easily could have begged off the family stuff, but instead wanted to stick around for his sister's birthday weekend festivities.

This morning was "one of those mornings," where it seemed the clock was going at warp speed.  As I dashed through the kitchen, I noticed a bag on the counter.  When I peeked inside, I saw enough food packed for several meals.  Of course...my youngest had a lacrosse game after school in Colorado Springs (an hour and a half away) and wouldn't be home until late.  Her older sister had lovingly packed a lunch, dinner, snacks, and a water bottle for her.

At this point, I think I might just scare my kids if I called a "family meeting" to discuss how important their relationship with each other is.  How they will always need to rely on each other, use one another as sounding boards, to make decisions together regarding elderly parents, accept new spouses into the family, etc.  No, better to sit back and let them foster their own relationships.  They seem to be doing just fine on their own...


Me and my siblings in 1974.



Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. You are the glue that makes your family stick. Your kids want to hang with you and with each other because you have worked hard to foster feelings of love and friendship that don't happen by accident. You must have learned that from your parents.

    Truly, God has blessed you. Not just with great kids that enjoy you & each other but He blessed you with the loving personality and skills to make it happen.

    No wonder you're my BFF...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you have this relationship with your kids. I love the picture of you and your sibs...nothing like old pictures. My daughter and I are very close.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it just a wonderful thing to watch your grown children enjoy each other's company. I know it warms my heart. I especially love it when my two sons take their two sons fishing together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel! I have tow sisters and we are best of friends. We like to meet at my moms and catch up as well! Great post!

    Dropping by from SITS, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post. My sister and I are best friends even though we are never quite on the same page. It is a cherished relationship. But I really enjoy seeing the blossoming relationship between my 7 and 11 month old. It is very special as is all family time in our household. Great post!

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is such a wonderful post. It almost makes me jealous, but in a good way! My 17 year old was just telling me that there's nothing special about his relationship with his brothers - he doesn't expect them to be close and he's not interested in it. I think it takes guys a little longer to realize things like that than girls.

    My parents were divorced, and I think that has the ability to pull siblings together and to be very protective of their mom. I was like that.

    What you talk about has been my goal since baby 1! You post was what I dream and hope for with my sons!

    http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/not-everybody-can-whistle-not-everybody-can-wink/

    ReplyDelete